One of the most important aspects of starting a business (but often overlooked) is defining and developing one’s brand from the beginning. Here’s a checklist of exactly what needs to be done in order to start your branding exercise.
- What does your brand stands for?
- Determine your brand’s mission – Start asking “what customer’s need inspired you to start a company?”
- Determine your target audience – Who are your average customers?
- Recognise your competitive advantage – What makes you different from your competitors?
- How should your brand look like?
- Perform an online image search for logos – Which logos are more eye-catching? Which logos are more forgettable?
- Define your brand’s personality – If you were to describe your brand as a person, what characteristics would come to mind?
- What are your core branding assets and how to keep them consistent?
- Create your logo – Decide on fonts, colours and imagery that will accurately represent your business’ values and characteristics outlined in no. 2.
- Build a website – Purchase your domain name and start building your website
- Develop social media profiles – Start building your social media presence to engage with customers and grow your brand awareness